Learn about digital tools for writers and share your discoveries on your own blog.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Thing 8: Online Notebooks and writing prompts

Nulla dies sin linea:  Never a day without writing--Horace

If you want to be a good runner, run.  If you want to be a good writer, write. Writing is like athletics in that it requires practice to attain competence.

I can feel when I'm out of shape, writing-wise:  it will take me MUCH too long to get words on the page, or the words that do come to me seem flat and lifeless.

But if I'm "in training," so to speak, the words flow out, organizational patterns bloom in my mind, and new concepts flash and spark.

How does a writer get in shape, though?

Daily writing practice is a staple in the lives of many people who write. And while writers used to carry around a notebook for this practice, today there are digital tools that make daily writing easier--and more fun. 

In addition, people who write daily can lower stress levels and improve their immune function.  Writing is awesome, isn't it?

A blog is a great place for daily writing.  But writers sometimes need to write in private.  That's when online notebooks come in handy.

There are several sites where you can establish a private journal or diary.

I use Penzu.  With a free Penzu account, I can keep a private writer's notebook/diary on a site that has military-grade encryption, so I can feel safe about your privacy.  If I write something you do want to share, I can do that, too.  Penzu sends me reminders to write via email. 

I don't use the Penzu mobile app, but if I had a smart phone, I might.

Take a look at this video about Penzu.


One trick about writing discipline and daily writing is . . . thinking of things to write about.  If you're sometimes at a loss of what to write about on your Penzu, you can click on the little lightbulb on the Penzu page--it will provide you with a question to answer.  They're usually fun.

If you're looking elsewhere for writing prompts, you can also try Plinky, which will email you prompts, and provide you with a place to write and share daily writing.  These also make great conversation-starters!

For Thing 8:  Explore some options for keeping an online Writer's Notebook.
1.  Set up a free account on Penzu, Plinky, or on another online notebook/diary app.  (Both Android and App Store have several; I have one called "Notebooks" on my Kindle Fire.)  You can create your notebook on a computer, on your phone, or on a tablet.  Or you can create several notebooks--that's what I did.
2.  Set up your account to send you reminders to post.
3.  Write your first post, using your own idea, the light bulb prompt, or a Plinky prompt. 
4.  Write on your blog
  • Which type of Writer's Notebook did you choose:  Penzu.com, Plinky, or an app for your smartphone/tablet?  Why did you choose this one?  
  • Have you ever kept a daily (or semi-daily) writer's notebook?  Was it for a class, or on your own?  
  • If you haven't (or aren't now doing it), what have been the reasons for not keeping one?  Would these new digital tools address those reasons?


No comments:

Post a Comment